Wednesday, October 15, 2014

1914 Affair

Greetings stylish ones! It’s another cool day over here at J Alex Style and I want to put the spotlight on an event here in Baltimore that I think has helped shape our more “cultured” scene here in Baltimore. So if you’re from this city and have an Instagram you’ve seen promos for the 1914 Affair which is on October 25, 2014. Now I’ll be honest I’ve never been to one of these events and I’m intrigued to go this year.
When I think of some events in Baltimore I think of thee most ratchet venues and an overflow of Mango-Ritas and the occasional “twerk off” and there is nothing wrong with some occasional ratchet party but you need a balance. But the events I’ve been frequenting lately haven’t given me that vibe. I think our generation is getting to the point where we’re tired of succumbing to the stereotypes of being ratchet and we’re longing for more substance.  Events like the 1914 Affair and Overly Dressed People (shout out to @larry.luv & @artpusha) are more of a rarity in this city and I like that complex. When is the last time someone in our generation thought it would be cool to get dressed up (like really dressed up) and have a good ass time?
I put together 4 different looks for any woman attending this event varying from super dressy to layed back chic. I also got the chance to pick the brain of the curator of the 1914 Affair- my homie Cheyanne Zadia IG:@bougiegivenchy Check out our mini Q&A below and grab some inspo from one of the looks I styled. Enjoy and see you on the 25th!




 

1. What inspired you to start the 1914 Affair?
The event was inspired by my peers (the movers, shakers, and curators of Baltimore). The original idea was to simply bring like-minded individuals together for one event to connect and exchange positive vibes. The concept grew into something way bigger after the first event. As creatives we all have a competitive drive. I figured why not turn that competitiveness into something positive (best dressed contest) as well as spotlight artist who have been low-key contributing to the culture in a major way. I like to think of #1914Affair as the war that ended all wars. Although, guest are competing for best dressed the most important thing is that we all connect and build. With so many curators in one room the possibilities of something world changing happening from this one event is what inspires me most.

2. What is YOUR perfect look for this event?
Honestly, I usually have no idea what I'm going to wear until a few days before.... Definitely something Chic with a tomboy feel to it. I'm thinking about a full suit this year but who knows. Lol
3. If you could take anyone as a date to the 1914 Affair who would it be?
Pharrell. Hands down! Mostly because his energy would be perfect for the atmosphere. I'll apologize to my girlfriend in advance. Lol

4. In your wildest dreams where would the 1914 Affair (your brand) be in 5 years?
In 5 years, I'd like to see this event globalized. So far we've connected with artist from New York City. We have artist from OKC reaching out, there's no tell what we'll do next. However, I'd like to see my same peers attending but 10x wealthier... Lol. It would be a blessing to one day hear "I met my business partner at 1914 Affair that one year...”

5. Name 3 "not to do's" for guest coming to the event.
No Athletic Wear
No holding back on introducing yourself to your neighbor (Everyone who attends is worth something to the culture, connect.)
Do not touch the artwork lol... (I couldn't think of a good third one)



SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig