Tuesday, November 18, 2014

And now I'm starting my Wedding plans.....

So I know you all have seen the stunning pictures of Solange and Alan Ferguson’s wedding that took place this past weekend in New Orleans. But as being a true Solange fanatic I had to post about her amazing ceremony. From the pre wedding festivities to the actual nuptials the wedding looked nothing short of organic and full of the true love the couple shares. The entire wedding party wore white which I thought was brilliant. And it wasn’t done in the corny Kim Kardashian way (no shade) it seemed very natural. She didn’t have bridesmaid dresses and let her wedding party wear what they liked (as long as it was white). All though this is her second marriage and she is clearly not a virgin I loved the purity of the ceremony. Her wedding party included Janelle Monae, Angie (her cousin) Melina Matsoukas, her big sis who appeared to be the maid of honor and a slew of other gorgeous woman.  Solange wore three different looks during her big day and all of them were breath taking. Her first look was a Stephane Rowland jumpsuit that has social media and fashion blogs in frenzy. It was an ivory jumpsuit w/ a cape that she wore riding a white spray painted bike decorated with ivory roses to the actual ceremony at the Marigny Opera House. Her second look was her actually wedding dress which was Kenzo and designed by her good friend Humberto Leon which was a floor length gown with a cape that covered her up to her up to her neck , I loveddd the modesty of it. And the last look was at her wedding reception which was another Stephane Rowland number. It was a gown that draped her body perfectly leaving room to dance and be social with her guest. . The wedding parties’ pictures were inspired by contemporary artist Vanessa Beercroft who I recently got hip to (not going to lie lol). Solange took a bold strong stance to the photo which was one of the factors to me that set her wedding apart from any other I had ever seen.  I also loved the pictures of Solange and Alan. They weren't the traditional groom and bride photos. The couple simply stood next to each other giving the vibe of a “peaceful, strong” union (you catch my drift). When I look at the picture I see a connection between two people something that can’t be broken. Because that's what a wedding is supposed to be. A union of true love. It wasn't about a fancy dress or a thousand guests who they didn't even know. Their ceremony was about them bringing their family's together to share their truest moment together.  Solange said "Everyone I worked with on the wedding are friends who I love, everything was a labor of love” and that was translated effortlessly.

I've always thought about how my wedding would be. I pictured me in a huge white gown and all my family and friends attending...basically a huge traditional wedding. As I get older I'm starting to re-think that. What do all the bells and whistles of a wedding symbolize? What's the point of spending thousands of dollars on a wedding and inviting family you haven't spoken to in years? Just for them to see you kiss your husband and walk down the aisle. I once thought that's what you had to do. But now I know marriage should be done in the truest form of the bride and groom. My boyfriend and I have different views on marriage and that's been an ongoing argument in our relationship. He's not so traditional and doesn't believe a piece of paper (a marriage certificate) is needed to court your mate. Where I have believed that piece of paper is something you need and it's not a "real wedding" without it. But what is a real wedding? It's the bond that two people share and the union they are beginning. The state of Maryland can't govern that. Because when you're truly in love no one else should have a say in it. As long as it's you and your partner standing before God committing physically, emotionally and mentally that's all that matters. I don't want to lose someone who I believe is my true love over a piece paper. So I'll take a note from Solanges book when I get married and do it my way. Not sure what that will look like but it will be authentic of me and my partner. It will be a true love story.



















SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig