Friday, December 19, 2014

Holiday Parties

Over the past couple of weeks while I've been working at Nordstrom I've helped countless women with holiday party looks. The first thing I always ask a woman before I help her put together an outfit is what is your perfect look for this occasion? How do you envision it looking and then I work from there. One thing I've noticed is each woman has made all of the same mistakes. If they're going to a work function they're not picking out the most appropriate pieces, over-doing the look with TOO MANY accessories and my favorite, only looking for the color red, it grinds my gears! Now I get that you want to look festive for a holiday function and for a theme but know when to say when girl! And don't go out of your way and end up looking and feeling uncomfortable. Luckily each of my clients at work had me so I was able to steer them from the obvious mistakes. Here are a couple of tips for dressing for holiday events and some outfit inspo. Hope you enjoy and happy holidays.


Be Unconventional- I get it it's your yearly holiday function and all of your co-workers are talking about their dresses they got and how much sparkle they plan to add to it. That's cool and dandy but I say be edgy with your look. Now I myself am attending my company holiday party this evening and have been back and forth about my look. I decided to wear my John Altuzarra wrap dress that I have yet to wear. I went through this same thought process of playing into the holiday party norm so I plan to spice up my look with a snakeskin bootie and my wild hair. Try it, it's always cool to stand out once and while.

Don't Overdo it- You’re going to a holiday party not the prom. Don't waste your time or money having your cousins, sisters, best friend make a dress. It's not that deep. A dress or dress slacks is not the hard to find. Take it easy.

Try Not Splurge- This is a one-time event. Try your best to wear things from your current wardrobe and buy accessories or maybe a new pair of pumps. Remember you do have Christmas shopping to get done!

Be Comfortable-Nothing is worse than watching someone walk around in 6 inch heels that they clearly are not used to and can't handle. Now I'm not a pro when it comes to heels but I choose my battles wisely when it comes to them. And as far as your dress just make sure it's not too tight, you don't want to look like you're trying to hard ya know.

Make sure you're appropriate- Holiday events may be ones with your friends, family or work. And most of the time it's work. Try and keep the high slights, plunging necklines and cleavage for another event. Now my dress I'm wearing has a plunging neckline but I plan to pin and double stick tape it to keep it in tact. Remember you’re at a "fun" work function but it's still work.

Red is not always your only option! - Red is defiantly the color for the holiday but it's not your only option of what to wear. Now I say all of this and I'm wearing a red dress (which was never the plan) I was trying my hardest to not wear it LOL, but it worked out that way. Don't be afraid to mix it up. Try other colors like hunter greens, silvers, gold’s and the classic black.

Over all just have fun and drink a bunch. There will be a ton of funny office stories to tell on Monday. Happy Holidays!

SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig