Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Discount Universe


So as I'm lying in bed perusing through Instagram and ran across Sophia Amoruso's profile (IG: SOPHIA_AMORUSO) and discovered the COOLEST dress. It was bright and sequenced with a cool graphic of cactuses and eyes that almost looked animated. Of course I then looked for the mention in the caption and there I discovered Discount Universe (IG: @ DISCOUNTUNIVERSE). When I first looked through the colorful and boisterous profile I said to myself “this reminds me of Moschino, just a tad bit edgier and more my taste”. Now you can't deny the symmetry between the two lines but Discount Universe offers more of a custom/one of a kind essence to their clothing that every woman with an ounce of style is constantly looking for. I do get a “costumie” vibe from the latest collection but this is the generation of MORE and young people want to look more outlandish and have their clothing do the talking for them (which is a horrible choice sometimes). From the likes of Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry this brands pieces are for sure show stoppers and conversation starters.

Discount Universe was founded in 2009 and is ran by Nadia Napreychikov and Cami James. Back in 2009 the two RMIT graduates started their fashion blog and to bridge the gap of bloggers working with brands they stared they're own brand, a genius plan and execution. The brand angles more to a futurist point of view with bright neon colors, bold, and loud graphics. The element of sequence is alive and a strong design point in almost every piece they've produced.

I like this brand because of its key objective, FUN!  They don't want to make perfect garments to compliment the clean cut too cool for school woman and her life filled with an outrageous number of selfies taken per hour and constant grind of going places just to take bad angled Instagram photos that proved she was somewhere (my bad I went on that one, I’ll save that rant for another post LOL). DU focuses on bringing their most outlandish thoughts and concepts to life, whether it is in the form of an oversize tee shirt or mini bandage dress.  The state of fashion is in such a perfect state I feel like. Minimalism is running things and if you’re not in a high waist pencil skirt and clean white cropped top with ankle hugging stiletto pumps you're super off trend according to society i.e. any Kardashian (yes that was shady). Personally I'm growing tired of the ultra-sleek and clean look. My core style is one of more ruggedness and chunky silhouettes. I say fuck these trends and pull out the brightest piece you own and rock that shit!

Overall I plan to order at least two pieces from Discount Universe this year and will be sure to keep you guys in the loop (word to Marc @beintheloop). Below are a couple of my fav pieces from Discount Universe, a link to a cool short interview with the designers and their site! Be inspired folks!














SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig