Wednesday, May 6, 2015

pRESS RE-START

How often do you pray? How often do you feel like you need to hit the reset button on your life? I know for me it's at least once or twice a month. Lately I‘ve found myself growing tired of the same routines. You know the same shit. Literally the same sequence of daily events. I wake up, get in my car, hit 695 and pray it's not backed up and then hustle into work to "clock in" on time spending my day talking to rude and sometimes idiotic adults who literally make me want to scream and break every computer in the office. I literally have done a year of that and then decided enough was enough. Around mid-March I started to feel an overwhelming sense of being stuck. I felt stuck in my finances, my career and just my overall focus. My mom had been telling me for about 2 years I needed to fast and re-connect with God and I thought to myself I'm already connected with God, I pray every day and thank him but that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to a relationship with God. I then decided to start a 2 week fast on April 1st only eating seafood, fresh fruits and veggies, and water. I had no processed food and cut out smoking, drinking, sex, and social media. Now I don't want to make this sound to "preachy" or anything but this is how my spiritual journey over the month of April went.

So leading up to the fast I did a ton of research on what to expect and the overall process of fasting. I wasn't fasting for weight loss or anything I just wanted to strengthen my relationship with God and ask for clarity over my path in life. On April 1st I started the fast and it was fairly easy that day, I was so focused on reading my bible and listening to Joel Olsten podcast I wasn't thinking about food. But girl those next 4 days.....chillle, they were not pretty! I had body aches, I felt weak, nauseated and even delirious. Unfortunately I only lasted 5 days and then ended up eating an apple, the irony of me eating an apple to break my fast (word to Adam and Eve...lol). I was super down on myself and felt like I had let God and myself down...but here's the kicker!



So in the beginning of March I applied for an assistant styling position for an e-commerce/digital media company in Baltimore and had yet to hear back from them. So randomly one day I decided to call the HR manager just to check the status of my application. I didn't get a call back from her for about a week and I low key forgot about it. One morning while I was driving I got a call from an unknown number and it was the HR manager. She said that they had already filled the position but were looking for a freelance stylist for a huge project they had a deadline on. I was soooo excited! I couldn’t believe I had the chance to assist on an actual set! I ended up freelancing with them for a week and it was to say the least one of the most amazing experiences of my life. There was so much pressure and so many things going on at once. I had to have attention to every little detail and endurance because they didn’t believe in breaks or resting. With all that being said I LOVED it. It was exactly what I want to do with my life, it felt surreal in a sense.  I'm now at a point where I have to actually choose what I want to do, well really it's a no brainier but it's a move I have to make strategically and from a business perspective.


I say all of that to say how blessed and happy I am now. I mean I was always blessed but that short fast showed me just how REAL God is. Even after I broke my fast I still stayed focused on God and how gracious he has been. I started to become thankful for my job (even though it's not what I want to do) and I started to recognize my gifts I've been blessed with. It showed how happy God was and how much he loved me just for seeking his power and love. I'm so happy I took some time off to re-focus my spirit and outlook on life. I know the hard things have yet to come but with a strong foundation in God and my amazing support system I'll be fine. If you’re feeling overwhelmed I suggest finding time for stillness and meditation. If it's God, Allah or whoever just take time to connect to something higher. Believe me it makes all the difference. Be inspired everyone!









SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig