Monday, March 3, 2014

5 Steps to clean and organize your closet

 
So yesterday when I woke up it was rainy and gloomy day out and I knew I was no longer in the mood to run any of the errands I planned to do. My closet has been a shit show for the past month, not to mention my room looked like a hurricane hit it so I decided to do some spring cleaning. Before I start to clean I always have that moment when I just stare at my room and say “where do I start?” After an hour of procrastination and watching old episodes of The Game I finally got up and started to clean and organize my room and closet. It took approximately three and half hours but it is finally done and looks amazing! Here is how I did it and you can do it!



Step 1: Start from scratch
Take everything out of your closet and drawers. I mean EVERYTHING!  Your floor should look like it vomited clothing. Clearing everything out gives you a clean palette to work with and is much easier to work with. It may look like a lot but once you know how you want everything to look it’ll get easier.

 
Step 2: Sort and Separate
This is the most important and critical part of closet organization. If you don’t separate and sort your pieces of clothing it sort of defeats the purpose ya know? Start by separating the basics like tops, bottoms, and dresses. From there separate your tops and bottoms. Example: sort your long-sleeved wovens and short sleeved wovens, and for your pants slacks from denim, dark denim form light denim and so on. This part may take the longest but is super important!

 
Step 3: Take it or Leave it!
So you’ve separated and sorted pieces from one another but along the way you’ve discovered pieces that you haven’t worn in ages! I know when I separated my clothing I found myself constantly saying “I forgot I even had this” or “where did this come from”. If you encounter this you should make a donate pile. I made a donate pile and sell pile because I found so many pieces with the tags still on them. By selling, donating or even trashing old pieces this makes room for some new pieces J

 
Step 4: Organization is the key!
So now that you’ve ripped everything out, sorted it and donated it it’s time to put everything together! Start by hanging all of your sorted pieces up in groups and hang them accordingly. If you have tops or bottoms that need to be folded fold them neatly. I suggest hanging everything up in the groups they were sorted in and fold them according to color. You’ll be surprised how much space you have in your closet and how easy it is to get to everything!

 
Step 5: Final touches!
After all of the hanging, folding and sorting put the final touches on your closet project by cleaning you actual room! I don’t need to tell you the steps on that. A clean closet deserves a clean room to live in! Since your done pour up a glass of wine and bask in your amazing closet! Job well done!


 
Hope these tips were useful for your spring cleaning and happy organizing J

 
SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig